In case of emergency
What can you do?
If you are yourself in a crisis situation or are feeling suicidal, you must seek professional help immediately.
You could also talk or phone a relative, a friend or a neighbour or a person close to you and go immediately to a hospital or a doctor.
Useful phone numbers:
- Brown Sequard Psychiatric Hospital, Beau Bassin: 465 3590
- Police Emergency: 999
In case of suicidal tendency, you can also call:
- Lifeplus: 188
(Ministry of Social Security Helpline, operational 24 hours a day).
- Befrienders :467 0160 ; 800 9393
(Monday to Saturday : 6pm to 9pm ; Sunday : 9am to Noon and 6pm to 9pm.)
If you are a relative or a friend of a person in a crisis situation, please take the necessary measures:
- Try to take him or her to a doctor or to a hospital.
- If the person does not want to be taken to a doctor or a hospital, call a doctor to ask for advice or guidance or call Life Plus : Tel: 188.(a 24-hr service of the Ministry of Social Security)
- If everything fails, and the person’s behaviour shows that he/she can be a threat to himself/herself or to others, please do not hesitate to call the police.
Police Departments are aware and have experience of these psychiatric emergencies and will know how to cope with the situation. They will find a way of taking the person to the hospital where he/she will be given appropriate help.
It is important to realize that you are not the only person experiencing this type of crisis. There are many situations where there is no other option than to seek police assistance, especially when persons are going through a psychotic episode and can be harmful to themselves or to others.